Collinder 399 (Cr 399) - Coat Hanger
Introduction | Map | My
Observations | References
On this page I collect my observations of the asterism Cr 399, called Coat
Hanger, Al Sufi's Cluster, or Brocchi's Cluster,
in the constellation Vulpecula/Little Fox.
The asterism Cr
399 is located in the constellation Vulpecula/Little Fox.
Thanks to its shape, it is called Coat Hanger. While I was not
able to find the Coat Hanger in 2016, I succeeded in 2017 using
two approaches: (1) Found Cr 399 between Altair and Vega, on half the
way is a somewhat lighter star slightly above the direct link (apparently,
this is Albireo) below is a double star (Anser), and below it finally
the Coat Hanger; (2) you can find the Coat Hanger also using Cygnus/Swan
(Deneb, Sadr) and Albireo. Meanwhile, I usually search for the Coat Hanger
using the second way.
Size: 60' (Stoyan)
Rating: *** (Stoyan).
Overview map with Cr 399, the Coat Hanger, in Vulpecula/Little Fox
My Own Observations
Observations Summer to Autumn 2016
- Regrettably, I did not find the Coat Hanger Cr 399. Location, observation
date, and telescopes used are unknown/forgotten.
Observations September 2017
- Sep 20, 2017 (Sumène, Haute Loire, France: LT binoculars): Cr
399 seen well with binoculars
- Sep 21, 2017 (ditto): My wife Frau Astrid also found the Coat Hanger Cr
399 with binoculars (I saw it as well).
- Sep 22, 2017 (ditto: LT binoculars, Heritage
100P): Cr 399 observed with binoculars and with the 100P (eyepieces:
24/16 mm); in the telescope, the Coat Hanger shape is less evident, because
you see more stars -> binoculars are better suited to this objects.
- Sep 29, 2017 (ditto: LT binoculars): Cr 399 seen with binoculars
Observations October / November 2017
- October 2017 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: LT, TS binoculars): Found Cr
both binoculars - and always saw it well.
- November 13, 2017 (ditto): Found Cr 399 with
both binoculars (via Albireo) - and always saw it well.
Observations August 2018
- August 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: TS binoculars): Found Cr
399 with binoculars - and always saw it well.
Observations September - November 2018
- Sep 16, 2018 Sumène, France: TS bino, OM21 bino):
Cr 399 (Coat Hanger) easy to find from Sagitta; can
be seen nearly complete in the OM21,
very good with TS
- Oct 5, 2018 (Sumène, France: TS, LT bino):
Cr 399 (Coat Hanger) seen well
- Oct 14, 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: PS
72/432, AZ Pronto
Mount, TS, LT bino):
Cr 399 (Coat Hanger) observed
- Nov 12, 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: TS bino): Cr
399 (Coat Hanger) observed
- Nov 16, 2018 (Mühlhausen/Kraichgau: PS
72/432, AZ Pronto
399 (Coat Hanger) observed with 28 mm eyepiece, fine dots
On this Site